Saturday, February 16, 2013

The Big One - DIY Board & Batten

And now for the main event - the biggest DIY project we've done off of Pinterest, and so far my favourite
DIY Board & Batten - AKA how to make a large amount of hallway storage.


Framing done
I came across the website here on Pinterest. We have a decent amount of room in our front hall, but more places to hang stuff is never a bad idea. The instructions are pretty darn simple - measure out your space and how big you want your board and batten. Obviously this is customized to your individual home. Then divide each section and attach the boards and shelf. Then paint. TADA!

Our project cost more than the original poster stated but that was because we had a large wall space and used pre-primed wood. Plus I had to go to a specialty store for the hooks (because apparently Home Depot, Canadian Tire and Rona don't carry single and double hooks in matching colours).


The whole project took about a week with measuring, cutting, nailing and painting. I'm sure if you didn't have a toddler to contend with it could be done in 2-3 days.
My construction team <3

I then went to Ikea (the bane of my bank account) and bought a bunch of brightly coloured frames and some 'gitch' on sale. I then printed off some printables, again off Pinterest (just look up 'printables' and enjoy!). I loved this idea because I can change them out for different seasons or times of year.

The Final Product
This is a good solid project. I'm not super happy it cost nearly $200 when we finished, but I think it's well worth it. The Munchkin can hang his own coat and bag and it's cleared out some space in our already crowded hallway.

No comments:

Post a Comment