Monday, February 18, 2013

Sesame Ginger Sweet Teriyaki Salmon with Garlic Quinoa Stir-Fry

Say that 5 times fast ;)

Tonight was Monday which usually means eating the salmon I picked up on Saturday before it goes bad. And as I previously mentioned, I'm looking for ways to expand our recipes and a quick Pinterest searching (including a few of the ingredients I have sitting around) brought up this recipe. Plus the Hubby LOVES Asian style food and I recently acquired a giant piece of ginger and sesame oil - so here we are

I do need to mention that the Salmon recipe is a MODIFICATION of an original recipe. And I modified the modification so it was slightly closer to the original but still going with what I had in my pantry.

The recipe I used is from Ambitious Kitchen but the Original is from How Sweet It Is. I will make notes on the modifications I made, including in how I made it. See websites for originals.

And sorry I'm lacking pictures. As soon as I pulled this from the oven we were so starving I just served and we ate the whole thing in under 10 minutes. Did I mention we were hungry?

SESAME GINGER SWEET TERIYAKI SALMON WITH GARLIC QUIONA

For the Salmon
1 lb Salmon
1 cup teriyaki sauce
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
2-4 cloves garlic, minced (*I used 2 lrg cloves)
3 tbsp dark brown sugar (*I used 2 tbsp)
2 tbsp honey
1/4 cup olive oil (*this was a lot for me - I used 1tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp sesame oil)
*1 tbsp soy sauce - this was from the original recipe, I added it in

For the Quinoa Stir Fry
3/4 cups quinoa, rinsed (*I used what was in the package)
1/2 tsp garlic salt (*I used 1/2 tsp garlic powder and 1/4 tsp salt)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced 
2 clove garlic 
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 1/2 cup sugar snap peas (*I used green beans)

Extras I used
2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted

Still following me? Ok

Mix all of your ingredients for the salmon and place into a zip lock bag. Marinade fish for 30min to 1hr (I did about 45 min)
Heat oven to 400 when fish is marinated
Place fish on pan with tinfoil lightly covered in cooking spray
Cook fish for 15-20 min depending on thickness

While salmon is cooking start the quinoa as per directions adding garlic salt (or garlic powder + salt) to the water. Cook as directed.
While quinoa / salmon are cooking, heat up olive oil/sesame oil in pan. Toss in garlic and ginger, then bell peppers. I made a boo-boo here - just prior to cooking the veges I used the same pan for toasting some sesame seeds so the pan was extra hot and the garlic kind of burned. Don't do what I did :(
Cook peppers, then add in peas/beans at the end.
Mix vegetables and cooked quinoa. Serve with your now cooked salmon, garnish with toasted sesame seeds.


Yes, I know it's rice not quinoa - just as tasty though!

This was such an amazing and easy recipe. The cooking time was about 20 min total, excluding the marinading of the fish. The fish was a bit too sweet for us, so I might add a little chili powder next time to the marinade and maybe cut the sugar or honey even further.
The quinoa was very tasty, even the Hubby who doesn't like quinoa and my Munchkin who's never even tried quinoa ate the WHOLE THING! Definitely toddler approved!
I cut a bit of the ginger and garlic when making the peppers because I worried it'd be to much with the fish but next time I'll do the full amounts. 
This is definitely a make again. I might even try it on chicken next time and see how it goes.
I have lots of quinoa and vegetables left over. The recipe says it serves 4, but I think they'd be pretty small pieces of fish - just under 1lb served the 2 of us (Munchkin refuses to try fish)

Enjoy! 

I should also add that I made this recipe using chicken last week and it was just as tasty! I've also replaced the quinoa with brown rice and it was also a success!


No comments:

Post a Comment