Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Bacon Brittle - WIN!


Yes, this is a real thing.
Yes, this is as amazing as it sounds.
Yes, it is another food post, but I'll hopefully be doing something non-food related soon.

And sorry for the hiatus. I can't cook like this all the time! :D

So my lovely, amazing and talented sister-in-law came across this recipe for her husband's 30th Manly Birthday Party. Since her husband and my husband are brothers and birthdays are a week apart, I decided to make this as my "I have no idea what to get you but I still love you" birthday gift. And who doesn't like bacon encased in sugar for their birthday?

Great thing about this recipe is I had pretty much everything except the corn syrup and bacon (it's a real treat in our house). I should say I do NOT have a candy thermometer and probably will never purchase one. Going on my Sister-in-Laws advice she cooked her brittle for about 13 minutes, again without a thermometer. 
And here we go!

The recipe comes from here. It takes a bit of time but is really super easy.




First - Assemble ingredients
6 slices bacon, cooked and finely diced
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup butter
3 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
coarse sea salt for sprinkling








Next - cook bacon. Feel free to cook extra for lunch, snacks, whatever.












Next - prepare the sugary goodness. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray VERY WELL (or use butter). Set aside, but not too far.





In medium, heavy bottomed saucepan, combine sugar, water, butter, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over moderate heat. Stir occasionally until mixture reaches 300 on candy thermometer (or like I did, wait till it turns golden brown), about 10 - 15 minutes.

Remove pan from heat and stir in baking soda. Then mix in bacon bits. Immediatly pour onto prepared greased cookie sheet and quickly spread out into a thin, even layer. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt.

















Allow to cool., Break into pieces, and CONSUME
 Final verdict? FREAKING AWESOME! Meaty and sweetie at the same time! The brittle was slightly soft, but still crunchy. The bacon was amazing against the caramel and the salt added a bit of extra taste. It didn't last long!      Couple Notes - I cooked the caramel for about 15 minutes, my sister-in-law did for about 13, but my pan is massive. I also think I over-greased my pan with butter and spray (I panicked). Won't do that again.
Overall - A gigantic man-tastic win!

No comments:

Post a Comment