Saturday, February 9, 2013

Banana 'Ice Cream' - Win!

I love food. 
There, I said it. I'll try just about anything. I love cooking and baking and most of all eating. And I also love ice cream. However ice cream every night is not so great for my waist line (Thanks Munchkin!). I love something cold and sweet after supper and this Pinterest winner has been my saviour! 
I'm typing out the directions myself instead of copying since the original will make this an incredibly long post...but I digress

DIRECTIONS
1) Start with 2 ripe bananas. Slice them up to about 1/2 " slices and put them on a cookie sheet (this is key - don't blend whole frozen bananas). Place bananas in freezer for a couple hours or over night.
Is there a point to this picture? You all know what a chopped banana on a cookie sheet looks like...right?
2) Place frozen sliced bananas in blender. You can also use a food processor, but I don't have one so blender it is! And blend those suckers! 


Bananas a la blender
The 'gritty' phase

3) As you blend the bananas will first go chunky, then gritty (like breadcrumbs). You might have to stop and push it down a few times. I find it helps if you actually try to push the banana around the blades - it blend faster.
Then suddenly as you blend it'll go smooth like a ice-creamy-custard texture. Stop blending!
STOP!
4) You may now either
  • a) CONSUME!
  • b) freeze for another day (haha yah right - but it does turn into more 'ice cream texture instead of soft serve)
  • c) add peanut butter (about 2 tbsp) and quickly blend to combine
  • d) add coco powder (about 2 tsp) and quickly blend to combine OR
  • e) add a combination of the later two suggestions (say what?)
PB and Coco ready to go!
I'm a fan of the PB, chocolate and banana combo. It's seriously awesome. This 'ice cream' is light and satisfying. It makes about 1 to 1 1/2 cups in total depending on your bananas. Obviously you can easily double this recipe.

Banana/Peanut Butter/Chocolatey goodness


Bonus points to the recipe? Clean. Vegetarian / Vegan. And damned delish. 


Link to original recipe blog is here

Happy Blending!

No comments:

Post a Comment