Monday, May 2, 2016

Broccoli & Cheese Stuffed Chicken - Win (Updated!)

A miracle has happened in our house. Everyone ate their dinner. Everyone. And they LIKED it. 
Seriously, this never happens anymore unless it's grilled cheese or pizza. My son, who hates anything new even if it's the exact same foods served in a new form, ate this dinner. My daughter, who despises meat and anything green, ate this dinner. My hubby, who as much as I love him, is not the healthiest guy, ATE THIS DINNER. 

They liked it.
AND IT'S HEALTHY!

See? Miracle.

I must apologize ahead of time. I knew I'd like this dinner, the chance on my family eating and liking it was 50/50 for the reasons listed above. So there are no pictures at this time. But because it was so well received it will be put into our regular meal rotation, so pics are to follow.
So far, this is the only one.



See? Miracle.

I made a couple minor modifications to the recipe from Quick & Easy Recipes. First was I bought thin cut chicken breasts. It made the work easier, but the pieces were small and the wraps didn't stay together well when cooking. Next time I'd buy butterflied chicken breasts, or just do it myself. That way I'd have larger pieces of chicken to get more stuff in.
I also used my own all purpose spice rub from Martha Stewart instead of the seasoning listed in the recipe. The stuff is seriously fantastic and I'm never one to promote someone/something, but I put this on everything and I give it to my family every year for Christmas. 
You definitely want to get all your stuff prepped before because once you start rolling chicken it gets messy. And toothpicks are key.
I also skipped the sauce as mentioned in the recipe. I felt it didn't need it at the time, and really the flavour was fantastic without it.

Paired with a side of cauliflower/potato mash (1/2 a cauliflower head and 1 lrg potato, boiled and mashed as regular mashed potatoes) and this dinner was a healthy hit all around.

And a bonus? I'm going to pre-make the stuffed chicken for my hubby to cook on a night that I work, making it a super quick meal for him and the kids until I get home.

Overall? A slightly surprising win, especially since it was such a hit with the kids.

Definitely give this one a try!

UPDATE - I've made this a few times and it's still a hit. However I do find that some times if my chicken is too thick, it's undercooked when I just cook it in the pan. Most recently I cooked it in the oven at 350 for about 15-20 min and they came out perfect without any undercooked parts. I think from now on oven cooking will be our method for this recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment